Filming in Coffs



If you wish to film or take photos for commercial purposes on areas that Council manages, you must obtain a permit from us. Council-managed areas include properties, facilities, roads and beaches in the Coffs Harbour Local Government Area (LGA) – Red Rock to Sawtell and inland to Nana Glen.

You will need a licence to shoot on Council areas if you are a:

  • feature film or television show
  • television commercial
  • still photography (excluding wedding photography)
  • student filming.

First step is to undertake a full technical survey of the film site and then complete Council’s Filming Application Form.

Depending on the type/scale of production you may be required to include the following:

  • Public Liability Insurance certificate of currency.
  • Traffic management plan
  • Parking plan
  • Authorised safety report
  • Community notification letter
  • Environmental management plan
  • Drone / UAV documentation

In addition to filming permission, your production may require further supporting licenses or approvals such as temporary road closures.

See Councils FILM PERMITS page for further information.

If you have any enquiries regarding this process please contact Susan Colby, our designated Film Friendly Officer in the Economic Development & Tourism Team.