Must See & Do
- Stroll along the spectacular beaches including Shelley or Valla Beach and enjoy the birdlife along the way of this unique coastal region.
- Kayak down the Nambucca River and discover wildlife along the way.
- Take on a forest or coastal Bike Ride
- Visit the V-Wall Outdoor Gallery
- Enjoy a drink at the famous ‘Pub with No Beer’
- Go Golfing at the Nambucca River Island Golf Club
- Visit the Frank Partridge VC Military Museum in Bowraville
Nambucca Heads is a popular camping destination with the meandering river and spectacular beaches. Visitors can spend the day surfing, swimming, fishing or boating. Pack a picnic and relax along the the river and its foreshores. The name Nambucca is derived from the Aboriginal word meaning ‘winding river’, and is famous for its riverside cafes offering delicious food with amazing views. Relax on one of the many beaches and stroll along the V-Wall Outdoor gallery, part of the town’s vibrant creative arts scene. Golfers will be impressed by the Island Golf Club, where you play an 18-hole course on Stuart Island in the river estuary.
Macksville is a charming town on the banks Nambucca River, a superb spot for fishing, canoeing and water-skiing. Relax by the Lily Pond in Dawkins Park and admire colourful birdlife, explore a national park or Aboriginal guided tour. Take a scenic hinterland drive through the lush countryside and visit the famous, and inaccurately named, Pub With No Beer. For vivid insights into pioneering life, visit the Mary Boulton Pioneer Cottage and Museum in Macksville. You can also learn about Aboriginal heritage with Unkya Local Aboriginal land Council Eco Tours, which offers a beach and bush walking tour of the enchanting Gaagal Wanggaan National Park.
How to get here
Coffs Harbour Airport is just a 30 minute drive north from the Nambucca Valley. Direct flights operate to and from Sydney daily, and to and from Melbourne weekly. Fly to and from Brisbane 6 days a week. There are four operators – QantasLink, Tigerair, Virgin Australia, and Fly Corporate– servicing the region.