Recipe by Matt Donovan
Matt Donovan is the talented and passionate head chef from The Surf Club Restaurant & Bar at Park Beach in Coffs Harbour.
Here he shares the top tips to make his famous Seafood Chowder at home.
“Success depends mostly on a rich, flavourful fish stock made simply from only the freshest of fish frames and trimmings. Long, slow simmering together with finely diced aromatic vegetables, a few grinds of white pepper and a dash of wine … gets the chowder off to a great start. While this is happening, start on the next steps.”
- Heat a little oil and sweat finely diced vegetables (zucchini, onion, carrot)
- When soft and turning gold, deglaze with a splash of white wine.
- Now with the fish stock, make a French Velouté sauce whisking a roux of butter and flour into the stock until smooth and thick.
- Now add small chunks of firm white fish, prawns and calamari; taste for seasoning.
- Finish with pure cream and sprinkle with freshly chopped dill.
Serve: with toasted ciabatta (and a glass of white wine!).
Looking for a fabulous location for breakfast or lunch where you can what the surf roll in? or the perfect location for your function or wedding reception?
Check out The Surf Club Restaurant & Bar.