Let’s celebrate the amazing place where we live, work and play!
During Coffs Coast Eco Month, locals and visitors can discover inspiration and ideas, stories to delight and a calendar packed full of creative ways to connect with nature and each other.
Along our beaches and within our rainforests, you’ll find some of Australia’s most precious biodiversity. Our community, rich with cultural diversity and a long Indigenous history, is just as strong and vibrant.
So let’s celebrate our beautiful Coffs Coast during Eco Month in May:
Recently the Coffs Coast received ECO Destination certification from Ecotourism Australia – the first destination in NSW to be awarded this accreditation and only the second in Australia. Eco Month is an opportunity for locals to learn more about this exciting achievement, what it means for our community, and how they can become eco ambassadors for the Coffs Coast.
Whether you’re keen to explore and learn, make new friends, or discover the wonder of our ‘backyard’, Coffs Coast Eco Month in May has something for everyone. Here’s a snapshot of what’s on:
- Experience the nightlife of the Botanic Gardens in Coffs Harbour on a guided wildlife walk. You’ll be kept company by ringtail possums, tawny frogmouths and flying foxes just to name a few. If you’re lucky you might even spot a koala!
- Learn from the Bularri Muurlay Nyanggan Aboriginal Corporation about the Gumbaynggir people’s cultural relationship with fire and smoking ceremonies.
- Hear from local rising sustainable business leaders making positive, social and environmental impacts at the Sustainability is Possible event.
- Swap your pre-loved garments for something new to cherish at the Eco Month Clothing Swap at Coffs Central. There’ll be live music, delicious snacks and prizes to win.
- Become a citizen scientist, and your photos of local birds, bugs, plants, animals, and marine life could help the Coffs Coast reach number one in the Great Aussie BioQuest!
- Coffs Coast tourism businesses will be invited to meet and collaborate with Take 3 for the Sea on a new program helping develop a plan to address plastic waste generated by visitors.
- Get hands-on in a floral wreath workshop at Euflorial to learn about eco-floristry and make a beautiful Australian native flora wreath to take home.
- Chat with the Let’s Get Composting team at the Coffs Coast Growers Markets and learn how to level up your green waste habits to create goodness for your garden.
- Join the interactive Radical Hope workshop led by the Centre for Ecological Learning, designed to create connection, hope and collaborative action.
- Get out in nature and try an eco-experience… free! Try kayaking, stand up paddleboarding or join a guided tour with a National Parks ranger.
This is just a taste of 30+ activities across the entire month and the full program. Young or old, newcomers or life-long locals, we are all stewards of this beautiful place we call home. So jump in, get involved, and have fun… see you out there! #ecocoffscoast
Coffs Coast Eco Month is an initiative of Coffs Harbour City Council.