Coffs Harbour’s excellent medical facilities form the basis for our strong and constantly developing health industry. Coffs Harbour is recognised as the regional centre for health services.
Medical services in the area were transformed with the opening of the $80 million Coffs Harbour Health Campus in 2001.
Coffs Harbour is the focal point for service provision in the Mid North Coast Local Health District. The Coffs Harbour Health Campus is linked with several District Hospitals which include Bellingen, Dorrigo and Macksville.
Coffs Harbour Base Hospital provides emergency, critical care medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, paediatrics, mental health, rehabilitation and a range of clinical support services.
Other health facilities in Coffs Harbour include:
- The Mid North Coast Cancer Institute is a patient centred organisation. The world class facility provides an integrated multi-disciplinary team approach to the treatment and support of patients encompassing medical oncology, radiation oncology, breast screening, haematology and palliative care services.
- Baringa Private Hospital – The private sector is well provided for with the long established Baringa Private Hospital, which has been operating in Coffs Harbour for over 30 years. Run by Ramsay Health Care Coffs Harbour, Baringa Hospital is an 80-bed licensed hospital with redeveloped operating theatres, expanding from two to four.
- Coffs Harbour Day Surgery – Surgical services in its Coffs Harbour Day Surgical Centre, also managed by Ramsay Health Care, include most specialties including a service from Sydney IVF. Medical services allow GP’s to admit and care for their patients at Baringa and this includes the new palliative care suite.
- Palliative Care Unit – Baringa Private Hospital commissioned their five room Palliative Care Unit in March 2008. This was jointly funded by the Commonwealth Government’s Rural Private Access Program and Ramsay Health Care. The unit is well equipped to serve with a relatives’ retreat and large lounge room that looks out onto a beautifully landscaped courtyard.
- A large number of GPs operating from our well equipped Medical Centres across the Coffs Coast.
- Aged Care is well provided for with numerous organisations that provide varying levels of care for residents in the region.
- Council’s Community Directories provide an overview of services available to the aged and people with a disability living at home.
- Complementary and allied health practitioners and services are used widely on the Coffs Coast to supplement or replace the more traditional services. There is a large range of modalities offered by practitioners delivering naturopathy, acupuncture, qi gong, homeopathy, ayurveda, chiropractic, reiki, osteopathy and traditional Chinese medicine as well as massage, crystal healing, iridology, electromagnetic fields, therapeutic touch and aromatherapy.